In the Bikram Yoga Classes…
It’s hot in here!
- Wear light clothing. You will Sweat… A lot! Bring Water, A Mat and 2 Towels... we rent or sell all of these things at the studio too so if you don’t have these essentials we got your back.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes before class begins.
- Wear something you’re comfortable sweating in, shorts for men and short or capri yoga pants and sports bras for women. Long pants are not ideal for Bikram Yoga and not recommended.
- Bring a large bath towel (or two), a yoga mat and a bottle of water. If you’d like to shower off after class bring another towel. (We have all these things available to rent/purchase at the studio)
- Avoid eating 2 hours before class. Yoga is always best practiced on an empty stomach. Some people however need to have a little something in their belly such as a piece of fruit. You’ll soon figure out what works for you and what your body needs.
- Be well-hydrated! Drink lots of water before coming to class, and after class as well.
- Come with an open mind and an open heart. Be ready to laugh a little and to sweat a lot!
After Your First Class
- You may feel very tired. Bikram yoga provides an intense detoxification of the body as well as an intense workout that burns between 600 and 1,000 calories, so it is very normal to feel fatigued. However, after a few classes, you will find yoga gives you energy and enhances your clarity of mind.
- Your muscles may be stiff or sore after your first class. This is very normal, especially because you are using your body in a new way. Your body is transforming and becoming stronger as a result of your practice. The best way to work that stiffness out is to come back again the second day! You will begin to get used to the heat mentally and physically and you even begin to love it and yoga without the heat just won’t be the same.
- You may have a headache after class. This is a sign your body is dehydrated. Bikram students should drink at least 3-5 liters of water each day. Coconut water is a great source of electrolytes to replenish the body… and we stock it in our frig!
- Our shower bathrooms are the perfect place to change your clothes if you are arriving from work, or need to go back to work.
Yin Yoga, Trapeze Yoga, Vinyasa, Restorative, Chair Yoga and Pilates classes…..
For women, you may feel more comfortable wearing capri length yoga pants and a top that covers your midriff. For men, a pair of shorts and a t-shirt is fine. You will likely work up a sweat in the Vinyasa, Trapeze Yoga and Pilates classes so bring a small towel and water. The Yin, Restorative and Chair classes are gentler forms of yoga and loose fitting clothing and your mat is all you’ll need.